[linux-elitists] What to do about RIAA?

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Feb 24 13:02:40 PST 2001

"Mr.Bad" wrote:

> The other way is to only accept connections from known good
> hosts.

Bzzt! Undecidability. You must assume your network is full of
rotten apples. Anything else is not conservative/prudent.

> But I think you're fundamentally wrong in thinking that the only
> solution to this shit is a technical one.

I think you're fundamentally wrong if you think you have even
a ghost of a chance if your infrastructure is not up to the task.

In case you haven't noticed, you're under attack. Armor-plate
and kevlarize your ass first, deal with the user human factors
later.

>     EL> I've not yet looked into MojoNation but [...]
>
> "I should probably shut up because I'm uninformed, but..."

I should probably shut up because I haven't read the source and
can't run the darn thing because I'm only on dialup, and I'm paying
through the nose.

Sorry if I won't apologize if I'm stuck in a 3rd world country,
IT-wise, and I have to earn my living first, before I can join
all your 3l33t h4x0rs d00dz.

Perhaps I shouldn't apologize either, because I was designing
networks like Mojonation something like 4..5 years ago.

>     EL> I just hope they use steganography to camouflage their
>     EL> network. I don't have the impression FreeNet did their
>     EL> homework when it comes to design.
>
> They did, in fact, do a lot of homework, but they made it an explicit
> non-goal to protect the anonymity and/or security of nodes.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't give Freenet a lot of chances even
on the middle run.

The environment is hostile. You're throwing the gauntlet to people with
big guns and big $$$s. You better be prepared when they come after your
ass.