[linux-elitists] phasing out Solaris/Oracle/Netscape with Linux/PostgreSQL/Apache

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Feb 11 05:14:01 PST 2001

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:

> However, I feel mod_perl should always be used.  It enforced better programming
> technique and expands possibilities in future developement.

Dunno, we were thinking about extending with or embedding in Perl with our
apps, and letting the resulting beasties talk to each other via sockets,
so they would work via localhost or over network, distributed over several
boxen. We get negligable hits/s, it's the query itself which takes time
(enough time so that people get batch IDs, so they can check up on the
result of the query in case connection times out. Don't tell me, I know).

Because of this, I think we should be getting a 1.2 GHz Thunderbird, with
PC133-2-2-2. Lots of it. With a 2..4 soft IDE RAID I think this machine
would totally demolish the oldish Sun, thus proving my point. After that,
I should have the mandate of going cluster, possibly using Scyld.