[linux-elitists] Secure CVS

Wil Cooley wcooley@nakedape.cc
Sat Feb 10 16:14:51 PST 2001

Thus spake Joey Hess:

> Hm, I've often suspected cvsup would allow that, but never got up the
> gumption to try it. What scares me is cross-repository conflicts. That
> is to say, when happens if:
>
> 1. I commit a change to the local repository copy on my laptop.
> 2. Someone else commits a conflicitng change to the master repository.
> 3. I ask cvsup to update my local repository from the remote repository,
>    which now have conflicting things checked into them. What does it do?
>    Trample over my local repository changes? Die a horrible flaming
>    death? Magically DTRT?
>
> Has anyone actually tried this?

I don't know much about CVSup, but I was under the impression it was
a rsync-like (sup) mechanism that works directly out of CVS?  So it
doesn't give you a local repository to check stuff in to, just a local
copy of the repository (or a local copy of the repository checked out)
that's more or less read-only.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                         wcooley@nakedape.cc