[linux-elitists] phasing out Solaris/Oracle/Netscape with Linux/PostgreSQL/Apache

Heather star@starshine.org
Fri Feb 9 14:09:13 PST 2001

>     EL> This is somewhat off-topic, so bear with me.

Kicking a Sun out the door if you can make a better linux box isn't
linux elitist?

(/me wonders if you can get what you like better on sparc linux or
intel linux.)

> Also, not to be a downer about the RAID part, but... maybe you should
> consider NOT RAIDing your disks together. If you're really looking to
> squeeze ultra performance out of your system, you might want to keep
> separate spindles going, tuned to your app (like putting different
> database stuff on different physical disks). Not necessarily a big
> deal, but it might help.

If your problems are partitionable, not only do I agree to this point,
but I'll add, if you can find a part that's a bottleneck, and you are
saving *enough* extra money, maybe you can get an SDRAM hard disk for
the offender, and improve that aspect of response time amazingly.

(SSD disks were a topic of a BayLISA topic a few months ago.  BayLISA
members can borrow the tape if you want to check into it in more detail.)

> Lastly, depending on how sophisticated your app is (like what kind of
> coolio SQL features it uses), you might want to trade in PostgreSQL
> for MySQL. MySQL tends to outperform PostgreSQL for simple stuff, but
> it can't do the hard stuff. I can't make any guarantees how well
> either one exploits multi-processors, though.

On this I have to bow to the wit, flamage and general experience of those
who prefer to hang out with databases.

Other dependencies include whether the only Clued DB Dudes (of any gender)
you have are (1) able to pick up new flavors quickly, (2) prima donnae about
their DB preference.  And maybe, whether there's any politics about the SQL
flavor from the non-clued, but, if you solve enough $peed problems you're
likely to beat past that.

* Heather * A program should follow the 'Law of Least Astonishment'.  What is
            this law?  It is simply that the program should always respond to
            the user in the way that astonishes him least. -- Geoffrey James