[linux-elitists] phasing out Solaris/Oracle/Netscape with Linux/PostgreSQL/Apache

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Fri Feb 9 12:21:36 PST 2001

    >> Right now a query can take up to minutes, so I don't think
    >> mod_perl is needed. We don't get a lot of query hits, at least
    >> not yet. Should I try using Apache mod_perl instead of the
    >> Netscape Server nevertheless?

    DM> I would rather chew my leg off than use Netscape web servers
    DM> again.  Apache is easier to set up, more predictable, better
    DM> supported, and better documented. [snip] No need for mod_perl.

Also, (I know not if this is still true), the mod_perl guy doesn't
like Apache DSO, does not support the use of mod_perl as a DSO, and
will not fix bugs that only affect DSO operation.  That said, people
use it DSO, and it works.

On top of that, mod_perl has a bunch of modules that allow existing
CGI Perl scripts to live in mod_perl with minimal or no rewriting.
But, as Don said, if you have few queries with long run-times,
mod_perl is probably not a win.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@sto-kerrig.org> - - - [         ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD