[linux-elitists] phasing out Solaris/Oracle/Netscape with Linux/PostgreSQL/Apache

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Feb 9 12:11:38 PST 2001

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 07:43:09AM +0100, Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> do I absolutely, positively need SCSI?

I'm hearing good things about IDE RAID, but I wouldn't put it in an
important server until after somebody else does it first. Mr. Bad is
right about the price difference between top-of-the-line and midrange
SCSI cards -- get the best SCSI card you can, and it will outlast
several sets of disks.

> Which distro should I choose? Debian?

Yes.  The more Linux boxes you have, the more you appreciate Debian's
package management and well-laid-out-ness.

> There's no alternative to sockets, right?

If you write every program to assume that every other program could
be on a different machine or not, you win when you split them up onto
multiple machines without changing your software. Sockets are good for
this.

> Right now a query can take up to minutes, so I don't think mod_perl
> is needed. We don't get a lot of query hits, at least not yet. Should
> I try using Apache mod_perl instead of the Netscape Server nevertheless?

I would rather chew my leg off than use Netscape web servers again.
Apache is easier to set up, more predictable, better supported, and
better documented. (Netscape might beat Apache on serving 468x60 GIFs
but that's about as relevant to your application as which binary's
MD5sum spells something cool.) No need for mod_perl.

> The database question. The database is large, but entirely static.
> Would PostgreSQL be able to handle this comparably to Oracle?

Yes, unless you're doing really hairy stuff with Oracle.

> I would also welcome some pointers towards lists where questions
> such as these are handled holistically.

That's what this list is, I think.

--
Don Marti                                    dmarti@linuxjournal.com
Technical Editor, Linux Journal                         650-962-9601