[linux-elitists] Anna Eshoo

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Feb 7 11:54:31 PST 2001

Bad Representative!  No biscuit!

----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:33:40 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: FC: Message From Rep. Anna G. Eshoo: SHUT UP AND LISTEN!
To: politech@politechbot.com
Cc: gnu@toad.com

[I second what John says. --Declan]

----- Forwarded message from John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> -----

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Subject: Message From Rep. Anna G. Eshoo: SHUT UP AND LISTEN!
To: declan@well.com, gnu@toad.com
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:12:20 -0800

Here's a sequence of five messages, starting from an unsolicited
message that Rep. Eshoo sent me about the California electricity
crisis, and my attempts to reply to it.

Lessons for aspiring politican emailers:

(1) This voter now clearly understands that Ms. Eshoo isn't interested
in hearing from voters, despite her "Let me know what you think" in
the letter.  She's spamming us from a bogus return address and trying
to get us to touch her web site.

(2) If she is gonna send out bulk mail, then she'd better be
prepared to recieve it and actually READ it -- rather than responding
with rejection notices to every reply she gets.

(3) She also sent a "Microsoft Word" document as an attachment.
Reading such documents requires proprietary software that the reader
must pay Bill Gates for.  The reason we have communication standards
(like the Internet RFC 822 that defines the format of email messages)
is so that one vendor can't lock us in and require us to pay them in
order to communicate with others.  If Rep. Eshoo isn't a believer in
monopoly, she should communicate in public standards rather than
proprietary formats.

(4) The way she attached those documents was from 1990; better
standards now exist for email attachments.

	John Gilmore
	Electronic Frontier Foundation

------- Forwarded Messages