[linux-elitists] anybody using non BIND dns?

Emanuel Pirker epirker@edu.uni-klu.ac.at
Thu Feb 1 12:04:55 PST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Rick Moen wrote:

> begin  Steve M Bibayoff quotation:
>
> > There is something under development called dent(?). It's still beta as
> > far as I know.
>
> Dents.  http://www.dents.org/  It's still pretty rough, but promising --
> in part because of modular design, such that DNS might finally be back-ended
> into one's choice of storage.

Given BIND's current "going closed" tendency something like that might
suddenly become of great importance...

---->

To: bind-announce@isc.org
Subject: PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:36:02 -0800
From: Paul A Vixie <Paul_Vixie@isc.org>
	From=0/3451 Subject=0/3451 Message-ID=0/3453 Received=0/3453
	Body=0/3451 Fuz1=0/3451

ISC has historically depended upon the "bind-workers" mailing list, and
CERT advisories, to notify vendors of potential or actual security flaws
in its BIND package.  Recent events have very clearly shown that there is
a need for a fee-based membership forum consisting only of:

	1. ISC itself
	2. Vendors who include BIND in their products
	3. Root and TLD name server operators
	4. Other qualified parties (at ISC's discretion)

Requirements of bind-members will be:

	1. Not-for-profit members can have their fees waived
	2. Use of PGP (or possibly S/MIME) will be mandatory
	3. Members will receive information security training
	4. Members will sign strong nondisclosure agreements

Features and benefits of "bind-members" status will include:

	1. Private access to the CVS pool where bind4, bind8 and bind9
live
	2. Reception of early warnings of security or other important
flaws
	3. Periodic in-person meetings, probably at IETF's conference
sites
	4. Participation on the bind-members mailing list

If you are a BIND vendor, root or TLD server operator, or other interested
party, I urge you to seek management approval for entry into this forum,
and
then either contact, or have a responsible party contact,
isc-info@isc.org.

Paul Vixie
Chairman
ISC