[linux-elitists] (no subject)

Justin Sher justin@squinky.org
Thu Feb 1 11:37:33 PST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 hirsch@zapmedia.com wrote:

> Justin Sher writes:
>  > On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
>  >
>  > > Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
>  > > >
>  > > > I'm sure moving mysql files into Oracle is a nagging question posed to them.
>  > >
>  > > Okay, I know MySQL sucks, but how is PostgreSQL comparable to Oracle?
>  > > I've started with a company without any Linux clue (they do have a VAX
>  > > and two Solaris boxen, though), and I'd like to demo a decent Linux
>  > > server, including a database.
>  >
>  > 	Postgres is pretty good as far as relational databases go, it's
>  > much faster than Mysql and supports row-level locking and transactions.
>  > It's blob handling sucks though and has some leaks in it which I had to
>  > work around.  This should be fixed in the next version.
>
> It isn't faster in my experience.  My impression is that it is a lot
> faster if you need to do a lot of transactions.  If you are prepared
> to not use transactions MySQL beats the pants on any db I've tested.

Let's check the slashdot archives...  I have personally built several
commercial high volume web applications using mysql, postgres and
oracle.

Mysql: Simple to use and get started, very forgiving as to what kind of
SQL it lets you put in it (I.E Group by behavior is kind of screwy) table
level locks and lack of transactions mean you'll have to switch.  Even for
a low volume system you'll have to switch once you get more than one
person using the database in an operation that requires table level locks
as the waits will be unbearable.  I have a hard time believing it is
faster on anything but TRIVIAL bench marks.  For all the real world
applications I have used it for it is DAMNed slow.

Oracle: Data mining fun, advanced sql and high speed but it's expensive
and you'll have to hire somebody to administer it and do backups.

Postgres: Faster than mysql! Yes, I ported the eact same running
commercial application to Postgres and it's MUCH faster, and it has row
level locks, transactions, perfect except it doesn't support some of the
trickier data mining of oracle and it's blob implementation is not as
simple as mysql but you can deal with it.

The guy who wrote sourceforge says Mysql sucks ass
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=1

MySQL Problems Under Heavy Loads?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/11/06/2237208&mode=thread

MYSQL & Row Level Locking
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/30/1553209&mode=thread

MySQL Developer Contests PostgreSQL Benchmarks
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/16/0010230&mode=thread

Postgres Beats MySql, Interbase, And Proprietary DBs
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/14/2128237&mode=thread