[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Kevin A. Burton burton@openprivacy.org
Thu Dec 27 09:24:51 PST 2001

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:
<snip/>

> .NET is a marketing term for the entire developer platform all the way up to
> the applications provided by Microsoft; thus the confusion.
>
> Don is just being a whimpering elitist, not separating the marketing guff
> from the technology. :)

OK... no argument with this :_

<snip/>

> Why? The CLR is a far better, and far more future-proof (read: programmer's
> ego proof) technology. "Java" is as silly a marketing mix of technologies as
> ".NET", only when you get down to it, it's just one language, lots of policy,
> and lots of Sun Microsystems buy-in.

Java is NOT one language.  I can undertand the misconception because SUN has
done a terrible job at pushing this.

Java can run any bytecode generated by a compiler.  There are compilers for
Python and I think there is one for Javascript.

You can even use BCEL and a ClassLoader to stream code into the VM at runtime!

Java does this NOW and has been doing it for for almost 7 years now.

If SUN pulls their head out of the sand Java could become a reliable and open
competitor for the CLR/C#.

> So, whilst Don may choose his non-rounded-scissors C++, I'll happily hack away
> in Python, Perl, C, C++, Java, whatever is appropriate for the task...  Whilst
> they all talk to each other via the CLR, Don can write more bindings.

A CLR is cool even (notice I said 'a' not 'the') is a good thing regardless.

The ability to combine scripting languages AND compiled languages is really
cool.

You can blend languages so that each does what it does well without having to
push one to its limits.

A good example would be C++, Java and Javascript all within one platform.  If
it was based on a CLR you could do this easily.

Kevin

- --

In this business, the only real open industry standard in the computer industry
is Linux, which thankfully remains beyond the clutches of the moguls. Everything
else is hokum designed to lock developers (and by extension, customers) into
proprietary corners of the computing constellation.