[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Kevin A. Burton burton@openprivacy.org
Thu Dec 27 09:19:15 PST 2001

Jason Spence <thalakan@lightconsulting.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:58:26AM -0800, Kevin A. Burton developed
> a new theory of relativity and:
> > Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> writes:
> >
> > > begin Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter quotation of Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:23:56AM +0100:

> > > The problem with saying that you're going to do a "Free .NET" is
> > > that ".NET" is a silly step-on-other-people's-terminology
> > > marketing gimmick that will either get replaced by another name or
> > > start referring to something else.
> >
> > A lot of the .NET stuff is based on what they have pushed through
> > the ECMA.
> >
> > > If you break the whole mess down, as far as I can tell you get a
> > > rounded-scissors version of C++, a standard library for same, a virtual
> > > machine, and a Big Brother bank/authentication/anal probe system.
> >
> > I am all for criticizing MS... but Hailstorm is a .NET application,
> > not really .NET.
>
> This is true.  What is not obvious is that parts of .NET will use Hailstorm
> whether you want it to or not so as to 'enhance' the experience for the user
> by customizing the behavior of certain APIs.  The developer exercises
> available for .NET already show Microsoft leaning in that direction.
>
> Smart applications are a good idea, but I want personal data hosting
> (outsourced preferences?) to be a commoditized service.  I want an *easily
> accessible* global preference in my operating system that points at who I have
> chosen as that provider, and I want all my applications to query that, not a
> hardcoded URL.
<snip/>

Don't worry.  Hailstorm is already dead.

Even if there was no competition or protests just the fact that it is the
STUPIDEST thing thing since MS BOB should kill it off.

- - centralized service
- - storing secure information on an insecure platform (Windows)
- - totally proprietary.

Sorry.  The future is an open and destributed system *just* based on
public/private key crypt.

http://www.openprivacy.org

If you want to see more

- --

History does not repeat itself, It rhymes.
  - Mark Twain