[linux-elitists] [dan: Error at kernel.org]

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Wed Dec 26 21:10:27 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:13:14PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 07:34:44PM -0800, Dan Wilder wrote:
> > Anybody know how to reach a human at ftp.kernel.org?
> >
> > ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/kernel/v2.5 has an erroneous "LATEST-IS"
> > file, LATEST-IS-2.5.0.  I've tried writing three times since
> > Dec. 17 to ftpadmin@kernel.org.  Alas, no response.
> >
> > Unfortunately we're relying on this file to be correct.  It has
> > been, in the past, except briefly.
>
> I'd recommend using the 'finger finger@kernel.org' for sensing the
> current kernel versions.  Or just parsing the 'www.kernel.org' web page.

% finger finger@kernel.org
finger: finger: no such user.

I recall some such.  Perhaps it was a different user name.

Last time I tried 'finger' there was no mention of 2.2.xx, the series
that is more, shall I say, absent thrills, spills, and adventure,
than 2.4 has so far proven to be.

That's why www.linuxjournal.com continues to list 2.2 latest
version, on the left sidebar.

Nothing against 2.4, recommend it highly, among consenting
adults.  For things that just absolutely have to be rock
solid, 2.2 seems like it's at least an option that should
be considered.

As to parsing web pages, that works fine until somebody tweaks
them just a tetch.  Until now, "LATEST-IS" has been pretty
constant.  Seems like it shouldn't take all _that_ much effort
to keep correct.

> kernel.org has been having lots of hardware problems lately.  The people
> there have bigger problems right now than the "LATEST-IS" stuff :)

I was aware of the problems.  Perhaps you're aware of an ongoing
story ... it appears that the problems may have been solved.  No?