[linux-elitists] Sendmail Virus Filtering

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Dec 26 10:26:39 PST 2001

begin Ruben Safir quotation of Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:44:08PM -0500:

> Has anyone seen instructions of a manual on how to do virus
> filtering on a mail gateway with sendmail?

Sounds like you want sendmail milter.  Eric Allman gave a good talk
on it at SVLUG a few months ago.

There's a web site at milter.org where you can read about it and
download other people's filter configurations.

Just filtering out attachments with a MIME type, or file magic,
of an executable format will probably get you pretty far, but you
can also plug in proprietary virus filtering software if you like.
Depends what balance of pandering/security you want to strike
regarding scriptable document formats.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/