[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Dec 19 14:19:13 PST 2001

Forwarded with permission.

----- Forwarded message from David Sugar <dyfet@ostel.com> -----

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:07:13 -0500
From: David Sugar <dyfet@ostel.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [linux-elitists] DOTGNU
To: dmarti@zgp.org

I love that sumnation, but what we are doing in DotGNU is something a
bit different.

First, there is general work on portable and usable virtual machine
(bytecode) interpreters, including the ECMA spec one (Portable.NET
runtime) which is both fully portable to many posix platforms and has
some very neat optimizations, and a system environment to allow multiple
VM's to interoperate together on the same machine under the control of a
single execution daemon.  One should be able to use the language and
tools of choice that make sense for the job rather than one language or
execution environment alone, including native code.  Of course, this
also means the never ending quest for a Java runtime available on a
truelly free software license and additional supporting Java class
frameworks for...

...the goal of an internet scalable base authentication and identity
system that offers distributed authentication and identities which can
be deployed without a centralized authority and without compromising
either the privacy of personal data or the integretity of commercial
entities.  In fact, to do that, identity must be capable of being hosted
purely on local machines if one does not wish or want to surrender one's
personal data to any so called trusted third party.  A working reference
implimentation of such a system does exist today in IDsec from the
Telematica institute based in Holland.

Third, there is work on pure web services that will integrate with these
things to provide practical local, workgroup, and internet wide
services, as well as interoperability between internet services
projects.  This includes the phpGroupWare project, which is now part of
DotGNU, and the work being done for a next generation Savannah.

David

----- End forwarded message -----

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.