[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Dec 18 17:55:02 PST 2001

begin Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter quotation of Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:23:56AM +0100:

> While working on a series of articles on the effects of .NET to the
> industry I came across the DOTGNU project ( www.dotgnu.org).

The problem with saying that you're going to do a "Free .NET" is
that ".NET" is a silly step-on-other-people's-terminology marketing
gimmick that will either get replaced by another name or start
referring to something else.

If you break the whole mess down, as far as I can tell you get
a rounded-scissors version of C++, a standard library for same,
a virtual machine, and a Big Brother bank/authentication/anal
probe system.

Some of these might make interesting free software projects for
some people.  I still don't know what problem each part is supposed
to solve, though.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/