[linux-elitists] winmail.dat

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Fri Dec 14 15:38:20 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 03:29:22PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I'm hosting lists pro-bono for a nonprofit. Some people on them have
> been sending one-paragraph emails that contain a 75k 'winmail.dat'
> attachment. WTF is this? I don't have the bandwidth to waste on them.
> Anyone know if I can make mailman strip these attachments from
> messages, and whether anyone would be pissed as a result?

I think this is used for MS-specific formatting, but afaik can also be
used for real attachments.

try `apt-get install tnef` if you're actually interested in seeing
what is in one of these things sometime. (I think that these are ms-tnef
attachments, anyway...)

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>, Free Standards Group (freestandards.org)
co-founder, SourceForge.net | core team, freedb | sysadmin, Linux Intl.