[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 13 11:39:52 PST 2001

begin Derek Vadala quotation:

> In Rick's example that's clear. But I think the point they're trying to
> make is that you can't use their mark if your product is derived from
> theirs.

They can _claim_ that.  Here's some prototype ad copy:

   Uncle Pete's Linux Distribution

   We took all the packages in Red Hat Software(R)'s Red Hat Linux(R)
   v. 7.2 as our point of departure, replaced wu-ftpd with vs-ftpd,
   sendmail with exim, yanked out Netscape Navigator/Communicator as
   superfluous in this day and age, replaced pico with nano and an
   appropriate symlink, and replaced pine with a script that runs mutt
   with Pine.rc to emulate the pine keybindings.  All yours for $nn.nn
   with a nice, friendly copy of _Running Linux_ 3rd edition -- and it's
   better _and_ cheaper than those other guys.  Oh, and _our_ default
   kernel doesn't choke on AIC7896 chipsets, either.

>From my Not-A-Lawyer perspective, it looks to me that Red Hat Software,
Inc. can't enjoin that, except by invoking the "We're bigger than you"
clause.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window