[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Thu Dec 13 11:21:53 PST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, M. Drew Streib wrote:

> It seems that most of what we're looking for falls under comparative
> advertising, when it is made clear that Red Hat is not the source of the
> copied distribution.

In Rick's example that's clear. But I think the point they're trying to
make is that you can't use their mark if your product is derived from
theirs. So you could take the distribution, and re-release it with even
minor changes but you could not called it Red Hat Improved, RH Improved,
RedHat Plus, etc. That's what the real target here is. A reasonably
informed person might assume based on those names that it was an official
release.

---
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek