[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 13 10:54:58 PST 2001

begin M. Drew Streib quotation:

> Sorry to say that I have to support Red Hat on this one. Phillips is wrong
> that this is a GPL violation....

You know, we desperately need a proviso that if even the East German
judge rules that your claim of GPL violation is totally whacked, you owe
$100 to the FSF.  $500 if you make Slashdot.

> That said, using the phrase "based on Red Hat Linux" may still be ok, as
> long as you are clear that the actual product you are selling is not _the_
> "Red Hat Linux". The issue becomes one of confusion for the consumer.

But the Red Hat legal page claims that other vendors may not _mention_
the words "Red Hat" in product information and related advertising.
See:  http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/page8.html

It's nearly enough to motivate me take out an ad for "Rick's Way-Better-
than-Fscking-Red-Hat CDs of Official Debian 2.2r4".

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window