[linux-elitists] IP: MS Patent for DRM OS (fwd)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Dec 13 07:36:26 PST 2001

begin Ben Woodard quotation of Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 07:17:29AM -0800:

> However, the one thing that the patent does seem to do. If only one
> company is allowed to implement the fundemental technology of
> DRM. Then I believe we are btter armed to go to the government and say
> we can't allow something like SCCMA.

This scheme seems to allow you to boot either a DRM or a non-DRM OS
on the same hardware.  Microsoft can tell Intel and other hardware
vendors that implementing the required hardware features won't
prevent them from selling hardware for Linux.

It does look like it would prevent you from running the DRM OS
under VMWare.

Proprietary platform vendors that control both hardware and OS could
still use different DRM schemes, but those schemes might lock OSs
without DRM features out of the hardware entirely.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/