[linux-elitists] IP: MS Patent for DRM OS (fwd)

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Thu Dec 13 07:17:29 PST 2001

I'm not sure which is more scarry:
1) The fact that they are working on a DRM OS
2) The fact that they patented it.

However, the one thing that the patent does seem to do. If only one
company is allowed to implement the fundemental technology of
DRM. Then I believe we are btter armed to go to the government and say
we can't allow something like SCCMA. Also as the scale gets tipped
ever farther toward the content producers and the IP holders our
pro-freedom arguments become much more understandable to the lay
person. There are a lot more average people around than content
producers and though they are a lot less organized they have a lot
more money and more time than even the RIAA.  We are far from the
revolution that I think is necessary but every inch of ground we loose
gets us a bit closer to the revolution.

-ben

begin  Eugene Leitl  quotation: