[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Steve Beattie steve@wirex.net
Wed Dec 12 10:49:24 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:14:59AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 05:51:17PM -0000, Rusty Foster wrote:
> >
> > I would agree with this. It's unclear to me how far RedHat wants to
> > take this, though. While definitely not a GPL violation, it strikes me
> > as somewhat anti-community. If they're OK with "based on redhat linux"
> > though, I'd have no problem with it.
>
> Red Hat does spell out, in many detailed words, exactly what is ok to do
> about copying their cds.  They even drill down to the size of the font
> that you have to say "based on Red Hat Linux" on the cd :)
>
> Unfortunately I can't find the document anymore on their site, but I do
> remember reading it when I was working on the Immunix distro (which is
> based on Red Hat.)  From what I remember, I thought it was quite fair,
> and seemed to be so that people would not buy copied cds and try to
> claim that Red Hat owed them support in any way.
>
> Anyone have a pointer to that page?  Steve?

It used to exist at:

  http://www.redhat.com/about/trademark_guidelines.html

but that page is now 404-compliant. Fortunately, web.archive.org has
archives of it, the latest is at:

  http://web.archive.org/web/20011102061746/www.redhat.com/legal/trademark_guidelines.html

(Bah, web.archive.org rocks, except for their stupid reliance on
javashite.)

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve@wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at