[linux-elitists] Bank of America doesn't want our business?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Dec 12 10:19:53 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:57:07AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Same old obviously worn laptop, but either a new LCD screen or an
> > absolutely perfect cleaning job.
> >
> > Of course I am the Media so I probably get special treatment...
> > http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5525
>
> Apple turned around my dead harddrive (the laptop fell off a chair) in s
> imilar amount of time.
>
> My sony vaio took about a full week, and I expect my wife's vaio to take
> about the same (which is shipping out today).
>
> It's not just you.  A few of the computer guys have got it right.

Apple is pretty good now, but they went through a bad patch a few
years back when they were charging to "evaluate" the problem.  I was
in a car accident that bruised me, but snapped my powerbook cleanly in
two pieces.  I still remember the absurd phone calls I had with Apple
about it - "Sir, can I have your credit card number to evaluate
whether this is a hardware or software problem?".  "It's hardware.  I
assure you.  The computer is in multiple pieces here in front of me."
"I understand, but sometimes customers don't really understand the
problem and it could be a software fix."  "No, really, it's a hardware
problem.  Really."

I vaguely recall there was a lawsuit to stop Apple from charging for
phone service.  I don't recall the details though.

David