[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Dec 12 10:14:59 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 05:51:17PM -0000, Rusty Foster wrote:

> I would agree with this. It's unclear to me how far RedHat wants to
> take this, though. While definitely not a GPL violation, it strikes me
> as somewhat anti-community. If they're OK with "based on redhat linux"
> though, I'd have no problem with it.

Red Hat does spell out, in many detailed words, exactly what is ok to do
about copying their cds.  They even drill down to the size of the font
that you have to say "based on Red Hat Linux" on the cd :)

Unfortunately I can't find the document anymore on their site, but I do
remember reading it when I was working on the Immunix distro (which is
based on Red Hat.)  From what I remember, I thought it was quite fair,
and seemed to be so that people would not buy copied cds and try to
claim that Red Hat owed them support in any way.

Anyone have a pointer to that page?  Steve?

thanks,

greg k-h