[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Wed Dec 12 09:57:41 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 05:51:17PM -0000, Rusty Foster wrote:
> I would agree with this. It's unclear to me how far RedHat wants to
> take this, though. While definitely not a GPL violation, it strikes me
> as somewhat anti-community. If they're OK with "based on redhat linux"
> though, I'd have no problem with it.

I'm not sure if what they are OK with matters. ;) This one is in the
hands of trademark law, and what constitutes acceptable use of their
trademark. Someone should ask a non-RH lawyer if "based on Red Hat Linux"
would likely fall into shady legal territory or not. This may be similar
to knockoff products putting "compare to name brand xxx" on their labels,
which so far is in pretty wide practice.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>, Free Standards Group (freestandards.org)
co-founder, SourceForge.net | core team, freedb | sysadmin, Linux Intl.