[linux-elitists] BurnAllRedHat?

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Wed Dec 12 09:03:15 PST 2001

>From Newsforge: http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/12/10/2014239

Red Hat: You can distribute Red Hat Linux, just name it something else

Red Hat spokeswoman Melissa London says the company hasn't changed its
trademark policy, but it's been more actively pointing out trademark
violations since the release of Red Hat 7.2  in late October. The
change in practice came because of complaints Red Hat received about
discount CDs containing Red Hat Linux that didn't include all its
features or service options. London says, "What we were finding is
that customers were calling us demanding support... we can't stand
behind those products."

But Jason Phillips, founder of CD seller/auction house UnixCD.com says
it seems like Red Hat wants to stop all discounted and free
distributions of its operating system. Phillips received a letter last
week asking his company to stop selling discounted CDs with the Red
Hat brand...

--R
--
Rusty Foster              || "What am I doing?
rusty@kuro5hin.org        || I'm quietly judging you."