[linux-elitists] Phil Zimmermann on key exchange

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Dec 10 18:24:46 PST 2001

begin Seth David Schoen quotation of Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:42:26PM -0800:

> Reviving a thread from last month:

(More on encrypted email infrastructure from Seth:
http://vitanuova.loyalty.org/2001-12-07.html)

> The Board of Directors of EFF met today in San Francisco, and I made a
> presentation about this, in the presence of Brad Templeton and others.
> One of the conclusions was that EFF's role in implementing something
> like this is still not defined clearly enough, and we don't know what
> we could most usefully do.

In order to seriously deploy encrypted email you need to kick the
email client support problem and the key management problem at the
same time.

One possible role for EFF would be as a founding member of an
encrypted email industry consortium analogous to W3C.  Such an
organization would have to be positioned as a way to fight
cyberterrorism and protect infrastructure.

It would be nice to get Ximian, the KDE project  and Qualcomm to
join, and use the words "Secure Email" or "Email Security" in the
organization's name somewhere.  You probably aren't going to get
any mail client vendor that depends on many Secret Police customers
to join.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/