[linux-elitists] pgp -m with gpg

M. Drew Streib dtype@dtype.org
Mon Dec 10 08:40:17 PST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:54:00PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Try forcing the issue:
> >
> >   gpg --cipher-algo idea -d < file
>
> Sure enough, this worked.
>
> My bad for assuming it would autodetect it :-)
> (but good to hear that the next version will)

I'd actually rather hope that it _couldn't_. A good symmetric algorithm
should produce a seemingly random stream of bytes, not something that
should be detectable by simple inspection.

If gpg is truly encrypting the stream, and not adding any funny headers
to the output (I'd hope not), then autodetection should be out of the
picture.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>, Free Standards Group (freestandards.org)
co-founder, SourceForge.net | core team, freedb | sysadmin, Linux Intl.