[linux-elitists] Take back the net! CSS for the user

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Sun Dec 9 02:03:31 PST 2001

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said:

>  Creative design, in my very
> arrogant opinion, is that which achieves beauty, creativity, and
> usability, while recognizing this aspect of the Web.
..

> You want to dictate precise appearance of a page?  Get over it already.
>
> You want to make creative use of the medium?  Power to you!

Yes! That's what I'm saying too. If I didn't know you better, I might
think you're finally evolving past the "structure-only" viewpoint into
a recognition that layout does matter, though it cannot be the same as
print layout.

Naaah... ;-)

>  Some folks like
> Nielsen _do_ get it,

Argh! Jakob Nielsen has never created a beautiful design in his life.
"Usable" yes, generally. But he doesn't get it. He only recognizes one
side of the issue. Usability is simply not the only thing that
matters. It's one of the things that matter, and without it, there's
little point to most sites. But usability alone doesn't cut the
mustard. I can't even talk about Neilsen. I made a new years resolution...

--R
--
Rusty Foster              || "What am I doing?
rusty@kuro5hin.org        || I'm quietly judging you."