[linux-elitists] random questions

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Dec 8 17:10:17 PST 2001

begin Jason Whittle quotation:

>> I highly recommend his small but deft volume of memoirs, _My Secret
>> War_.  Much more interesting and worthwhile than, say, Wright's
>> _Spycatcher_, which came out about the same time.
>
> Hmmm... A book presented a non-fiction, written by a man who was
> arguably one of the great manipulators of the century. I sense that
> you have a greater desire to be deceived than even a devout Mormon.
>
> Seriously though, _My Secret War_ contains a great deal what is
> presented as factual information that other members of the spy trade
> have deemed apocryphal. I don't know about _Spycatcher._

I can't help noticing that these judgements you allude to fail to
address the question of whether Philby's book is interesting and
worthwhile -- while gratuitously attributing to me (in your first
paragraph) views I nowhere stated.

I don't believe I've met you, sir.  Do you have some particular reason
for this sort of behaviour, or were you just having a bad day and
determined to share?

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window