[linux-elitists] RIAA as lightning rod (Fwd: pho: Federal judge throws out EFF-Felten...)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 8 00:09:04 PST 2001

The following appeared on the Pho music-industry discussion list,
apropos the Felton & 2600 decisions.  It echoes what I said this
September regarding the RIAA -- mafia racket for Sony, EMI, Warner, BMG,
Universal and 600 other lables to strong-arm their customers.  Allowing
the RIAA to set the time and terms of engagement is a victory on their
part.

on Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:11:12PM -0800, Griffin, Jim (griffin@onehouse.com) wrote:

<...>

> Bottom-line: Amongst the RIAA's prime functions for the industry is to serve
> as a lightning-rod for your criticism. If you throw lightning their way, you
> justify their existence and that of any buffer that insulates. If you throw
> less lightning, you may get closer to the nexus of decision-making and more
> readily implement change.

I agree with the first part of Jim's message.  I disagree with the
second.  Cut out the middleman and take your complaints directly to the
culprits:  Sony, EMI, Warner, BMG, and Universal.

Peace.