[linux-elitists] Take back the net! CSS for the user

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Fri Dec 7 22:05:40 PST 2001

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said:

> Creativity need not either bludgeon or insult.

I hear you. And for the most part, you know I agree with you. Other
than FONT (which is going away soon, I promise!) K5 follows your
principles better than most sites. So yeah, your points are valid, and
I'm glad there's an option for people who want to overrule the
pixel-pushers.

However, I'm also glad there are people out there trying wacky stuff.
While 90% of everything is crap, on the web as in the world, once in a
while I hit some damn fine designs.

I think what really nailed it was in the last email, the bit about
HTML/CSS being utterly unable to cope with its actual mandate. Until
some fixes this hideous kludge, and until the dinosaur browsers die
off, we're still stuck with it. FWIW, I think the fault here
ultimately lies with all the people who clung to the "structure not
layout" mantra *far* after it was clear that HTML had to cope with
layout, and would be forced to, whether it wanted to or not. How many
years did we waste trying to "re-educate" every web designer rather
than just fixing the language?

--R
--
Rusty Foster              || "What am I doing?
rusty@kuro5hin.org        || I'm quietly judging you."