[linux-elitists] Take back the net! CSS for the user

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 7 19:11:05 PST 2001

on Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:00:12PM -0800, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:53:20PM -0000, Rusty Foster (rusty@kuro5hin.org) wrote:
> > "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said:
> >
> > > I'm working on a CSS that results in a largely readable, presentable,
> > > workable Web experience for users, primarially of GNU/Linux, but ideally
> > > of any platform.
> >
> > Anti-elitist-PC statement of the day: I enjoy seeing what people
> > designing web sites do with them. That is, I don't suffer the illusion
> > that my idea of "looks good" is universally true for all sites all the
> > time.

<...>

> My beefs with websites generally boil down to a small number of issues.
> I wrote on this on January 2, 1999 at the old Infoworld Electric
> archives, I won't change a word (though I allow a very limited set of
> sites to set cookies):

<...>

> > Not that this makes your preference a bad thing. Just thought I'd kick
> > in for the other side of the coin. I think it'd be a boring web if I
> > decided to overrule everyone else's visual ideas.

There was a point in that long-ass rant of mine.

Other than some of the basics --  use readable fonts, keep your
foreground / background colors sane, hold still, and shut up -- a web
designer's got a hell of a lot of leeway.  The key points should,
generally, be communications.  There's a reason why most books are sized
to fit two hands or on a table, have black text, on white paper.  There
are exceptions, but they're recognized as novelty items.  If you want to
see some good examples of book design, hit the "coffee table" section of
the book store or take a look at Tufte.

Creativity need not either bludgeon or insult.

And if it does, and the public has a choice, the public will rebel.

Peace.