[linux-elitists] random questions

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 7 15:06:25 PST 2001

on Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:55:56PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Ben Woodard quotation of Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:12:50PM -0800:
>
> > I honestly don't understand why this is a problem. It has been
> > literally a decade since I even remotely considered my physical layer
> > any sort of protection.

> > Plus I also believe that bandwidth should be ubiquidious nearly free
> > commodity resource.
>
> I agree with both your points.
>
> But there's one remaining reason for not sharing your net connection
> freely, and that's what happens when someone does something Bad
> from it?  You're the one responsible for those IP addresses, and
> you're the one who's going to get on the RBL, lose your service,
> get a visit from the Secret Police, or all three.

There's a long tradition of dealing with this in law, it's called
"common carrier".  A common carrier treats all customers without
prejudice (think RAND in patent licensing).  There's a fee, but all
comers are equal.  The assumption is that illegal activity is not known
to the carrier.  The carrier may be required to facilitate / cooperate
with police actions, or withdraw services, when a liklihood of criminal
actions is present.  The phone company, US Postal service, FedEx and
UPS, streets and highways, gun shops, and tobacco companies have all
operated under similar regimes.

A principle problem is public and political ignorance (and idiocy) in
dealing with all things electronic.  This is confounded by a large
number of incompetent sys/net admins, and a bunch of poorly secured
boxen which facilitate either obnoxious or illegal behavior.

> Anyone familiar with nocat.net?  It looks like an attempt to do a
> balance of freedom, conveniene, and accountability.

Hmm...