[linux-elitists] random questions

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Dec 7 13:55:56 PST 2001

begin Ben Woodard quotation of Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:12:50PM -0800:

> I honestly don't understand why this is a problem. It has been
> literally a decade since I even remotely considered my physical layer
> any sort of protection.

> Plus I also believe that bandwidth should be ubiquidious nearly free
> commodity resource.

I agree with both your points.

But there's one remaining reason for not sharing your net connection
freely, and that's what happens when someone does something Bad
from it?  You're the one responsible for those IP addresses, and
you're the one who's going to get on the RBL, lose your service,
get a visit from the Secret Police, or all three.

Anyone familiar with nocat.net?  It looks like an attempt to do a
balance of freedom, conveniene, and accountability.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/