[linux-elitists] random questions

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Fri Dec 7 13:12:50 PST 2001

begin  Don Marti  quotation:
> begin Jay Sulzberger quotation of Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:49:49PM -0500:
>
> > There are only a few, some say two, people in the world who write all
> > worms/viruses/trojans.  They will get to the distribution of WIFI attack
> > scripts as soon as they have produced a superior GNU/Linux worm, using
> > overflows et al., to encourage better practice in the free software
> > industry.
>
> But the ready-to-run tools for cracking WEP already exist.
> http://airsnort.sourceforge.net/
>
> They couldn't be much easier to use if they were preinstalled at
> the factory.
>
> And most wireless networks don't even have WEP turned on.

I honestly don't understand why this is a problem. It has been
literally a decade since I even remotely considered my physical layer
any sort of protection. (in 1990 I was shown my first demonstration of
network sniffing of credentials).

Plus I also believe that bandwidth should be ubiquidious nearly free
commodity resource. By carefully partitioning off and hoarding
bandwidth we play right into the hands of those people who want to
extract the maximum profit from the internet.

-ben