[linux-elitists] random questions

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 6 22:15:09 PST 2001

on Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:57:00PM -0600, Rick Bradley (roundeye@roundeye.net) wrote:
> * Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) [011206 15:48]:
> > Anyone have the magic incantation to _really_ force Mozilla to
> > absolutely never use a font smaller than a certain size?
>
> Not exactly the same technique but I use the following CSS rules in
> ~/.mozilla/$USER/*/chrome/userContent.css:
>
> body, p, div, span, em, b, i, ul, li, ol, a, tt, pre, blockquote, table,
>     th, td, tr, input, select, option, submit, font {
>   font-size   : 14px !important; line-height : 17px !important;
> }
>
> h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, font  {
>   font-size   : 16px !important; line-height : 19px !important;
> }
>
> Which locks in font sizes (rather than just limiting the bottom-end)
> yet still allows for bigger headlines.  If I missed any tags I haven't
> noticeably (e.g., at the ridiculous resolutions <font...> is often
> abused for) encountered them in the wild

The downside to this approach is that you can't modify the selection
from your UI font preferences in Galeon / Mozilla, etc.

Using the "normal" keywords, with the !important attribute, should have
the desired effect, with the side benefit that if you decide that 12 (or
18) point font is preferable, you can specify these without dragging out
your text editor (minor pain) and restarting your browser (if your
browser aquires state like mine do, major pain).

I'm still polishing a userContent.css, will post to its own thread
shortly.  Having problems with sized fonts (size="-2", size="7", etc.),
which don't seem to get kibboshed properly.

> Requires a restart for the profile to take effect.

Bingo.

> Counter-question:
>
> I thought I'd put the correct hoodoo in prefs.js to keep sites from
> doing JS window.open() calls for popups, yet I still get them.  What's
> the Right Way?

In prefs.js:

    user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open", "noAccesss");

...I think.