[linux-elitists] random questions

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Dec 6 15:52:35 PST 2001

begin Jay Sulzberger quotation of Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:49:49PM -0500:

> There are only a few, some say two, people in the world who write all
> worms/viruses/trojans.  They will get to the distribution of WIFI attack
> scripts as soon as they have produced a superior GNU/Linux worm, using
> overflows et al., to encourage better practice in the free software
> industry.

But the ready-to-run tools for cracking WEP already exist.
http://airsnort.sourceforge.net/

They couldn't be much easier to use if they were preinstalled at
the factory.

And most wireless networks don't even have WEP turned on.

Maybe the WiFi kiddiez are just using the networks belonging to
the companies with the highest bandwidth/clue ratio, and they just
_aren't noticing_.

I hear from an apparently reliable source that Adobe's sysadmin team
ripped out all their WiFi access points the weekend before the first
"Free Dmitry" march, BTW.  I wonder if they want to sell them at
a surplus price.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/