[linux-elitists] random questions

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu Dec 6 13:12:16 PST 2001

At 1:03 PM -0800 12/6/01, Rick Moen wrote:
>begin Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

>> Why does Silicon Valley, which is full of the high-tech elite, have
>> the deadly dull "The Tech" museum, while the latte-drinking artistes
>> of San Francisco have the majorly kick-ass Exploratorium?

> The Exploratorium was a nearly uniquely inspired brainchild of Frank
> Oppenheimer's, and he had an amazing talent for drawing in and inspiring
> other creative and enthusiastic people -- all of those who weren't
> already across the Bay at the Lawrence Hall of Science.  Also, that big,
> honking space in the Palace of Fine Arts, and the building itself,
> probably proved an irresistable Art Moderne tabula rasa for the right
> sort of people.

Half-right answer.

Real answer: because the Silicon Valley high-tech elite are as dull as the
Tech Museum. They have no inner life -- they don't have time for one
working 80 hours a week. They don't want to teach things to kids, they
want to make up ever-more obscure terms and acronyms to prevent others
from understanding what they talk about. God forbid someone 22 and fresh
out of school could steal their jobs.

The Exploratorium is *inclusive*.
The Tech Museum is *exclusive*.

--