[linux-elitists] random questions

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 6 13:03:55 PST 2001

begin Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

> Linux Journal has me doing an email column
> (http://www.ssc.com/mailman/listinfo/atc) and it looks like my plan to
> become the Jerry Pournelle of Linux is starting to work.

Congratulations.  May I drive over and reinstall your printer drivers
for you?

> How many damn "The Linux viruses are coming! Virus checkers are still
> relevant!" articles are we going to have to read until even the
> Mainstream Media starts ignoring the anti-virus vendors? (Rick Moen
> explains the UNIX/Linux security model and its virus-resistance in
> this article: http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus.)

I get wonderful hatemail from that and three related ones that follow.
Almost as entertaining as the ones #djb and #djb2 draw in.

> If WiFi is so insecure and so popular at the same time, where are all
> the WiFi Skript Kiddiez? With all the publicity around WEP cracking,
> and the easy tools to do it, you'd think that there would be all kinds
> of DoS attacks, warez sites, e-mail forgeries and such from every
> insecure corporate access point.

I was wondering that myself, after seeing Peter Shipley's "War Driving"
presentation at BayLISA.

> Why does Silicon Valley, which is full of the high-tech elite, have
> the deadly dull "The Tech" museum, while the latte-drinking artistes
> of San Francisco have the majorly kick-ass Exploratorium?

The Exploratorium was a nearly uniquely inspired brainchild of Frank
Oppenheimer's, and he had an amazing talent for drawing in and inspiring
other creative and enthusiastic people -- all of those who weren't
already across the Bay at the Lawrence Hall of Science.  Also, that big,
honking space in the Palace of Fine Arts, and the building itself,
probably proved an irresistable Art Moderne tabula rasa for the right
sort of people.

Having the Exploratorium and Lawrence Hall of Science so close by has
probably been bad for the Tech Museum of Innovation, if only because the
former are such magnets for both visitors and creative sorts.  That
might explain why the Tech is so bland, perfunctory, and corporate.

> Now that there is a decent selection of web browsers:
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html for Linux, is
> it time for independent sites to start breaking compatibility with
> that nasty old Netscape 4.x in order to do the new web standards
> right: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/?

You know, this is interesting.  I was talking, late last night, about
editing David A.  Gatwood's revision work on the SMAUG page
(http://smaug-web.sourceforge.net/) to swap in JPEGs for the PNGs he
uses, there, because they fail to display on Netscape 4.x.  But, you
know, screw it:  If Netscape 4.x chokes on some PNGs (but not others;
see http://lists.svlug.org/archives//smaug/2001q4/000224.html), then the
hell with it.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                     Emacs is a decent operating system,