[linux-elitists] random questions

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Thu Dec 6 10:49:49 PST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Don Marti wrote:

> Attention Linux elitists:
>
> Linux Journal has me doing an email column
> (http://www.ssc.com/mailman/listinfo/atc) and it looks like my
> plan to become the Jerry Pournelle of Linux is starting to work.
> I made some random comments about the Mandrake install and instantly
> got mail from them.  All give tech support unto me, bwah, ha, ha.
>
> Anyway, here are a bunch of random questions I still don't have
> answers to but that you people probably do.
>
>    How many damn "The Linux viruses are coming! Virus checkers are still
>    relevant!" articles are we going to have to read until even the
>    Mainstream Media starts ignoring the anti-virus vendors? (Rick Moen
>    explains the UNIX/Linux security model and its virus-resistance in
>    this article:
>    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus.)

And how long will the Linux kernel and many GNU utilities be compiled
with all standard buffer overflows enabled?  How long will the C library
force overflows and other holes into most every C program?

>    If WiFi is so insecure and so popular at the same time, where are all
>    the WiFi Skript Kiddiez? With all the publicity around WEP cracking,
>    and the easy tools to do it, you'd think that there would be all kinds
>    of DoS attacks, warez sites, e-mail forgeries and such from every
>    insecure corporate access point.

There are only a few, some say two, people in the world who write all
worms/viruses/trojans.  They will get to the distribution of WIFI attack
scripts as soon as they have produced a superior GNU/Linux worm, using
overflows et al., to encourage better practice in the free software
industry.

>    What's the plural of Zaurus? Zauruses or Zauri?

ZAURENASAURUS KILOFLORA BLOOMENENSIS

>    Why does Silicon Valley, which is full of the high-tech elite, have
>    the deadly dull "The Tech" museum, while the latte-drinking artistes
>    of San Francisco have the majorly kick-ass Exploratorium?

Computer programmers do not understand computers.

See "buffer overflow".

>    How come you never hear anything from Rick Belluzzo since he went from
>    SGI to Microsoft? Or did M$ make him an "executive" like the Soviet
>    Union made Kim Philby a "KGB Colonel"?

Rick Belluzo is Kim Philby and defends the free world by keeping Microsoft
even more incompetent, hard to use, and insecure than GNU/Linux.

>    Now that there is a decent selection of web browsers:
>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html for Linux, is
>    it time for independent sites to start breaking compatibility with
>    that nasty old Netscape 4.x in order to do the new web standards
>    right:
>    http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/?

Premise wrong.  No brower exists.

>    Why do people mess around with little text boxes on web sites when
>    they could be using their editor of choice to post to Usenet? Is it
>    because the historic groups are too spammy, and the elitists at
>    usenet2.org scared everyone away?
>
> --
> Don Marti          What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!

No Usenet button on AOL dashboard.

oo--JS.