[linux-elitists] random questions

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Dec 6 10:28:30 PST 2001

Attention Linux elitists:

Linux Journal has me doing an email column
(http://www.ssc.com/mailman/listinfo/atc) and it looks like my
plan to become the Jerry Pournelle of Linux is starting to work.
I made some random comments about the Mandrake install and instantly
got mail from them.  All give tech support unto me, bwah, ha, ha.

Anyway, here are a bunch of random questions I still don't have
answers to but that you people probably do.

   How many damn "The Linux viruses are coming! Virus checkers are still
   relevant!" articles are we going to have to read until even the
   Mainstream Media starts ignoring the anti-virus vendors? (Rick Moen
   explains the UNIX/Linux security model and its virus-resistance in
   this article:
   http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus.)

   If WiFi is so insecure and so popular at the same time, where are all
   the WiFi Skript Kiddiez? With all the publicity around WEP cracking,
   and the easy tools to do it, you'd think that there would be all kinds
   of DoS attacks, warez sites, e-mail forgeries and such from every
   insecure corporate access point.

   What's the plural of Zaurus? Zauruses or Zauri?

   Why does Silicon Valley, which is full of the high-tech elite, have
   the deadly dull "The Tech" museum, while the latte-drinking artistes
   of San Francisco have the majorly kick-ass Exploratorium?

   How come you never hear anything from Rick Belluzzo since he went from
   SGI to Microsoft? Or did M$ make him an "executive" like the Soviet
   Union made Kim Philby a "KGB Colonel"?

   Now that there is a decent selection of web browsers:
   http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html for Linux, is
   it time for independent sites to start breaking compatibility with
   that nasty old Netscape 4.x in order to do the new web standards
   right:
   http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/?

   Why do people mess around with little text boxes on web sites when
   they could be using their editor of choice to post to Usenet? Is it
   because the historic groups are too spammy, and the elitists at
   usenet2.org scared everyone away?

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/