[linux-elitists] Bank of America doesn't want our business?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 2 21:50:48 PST 2001

on Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 07:49:49PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 06:41:22PM -0800:
>
> > Take a look at The Cluetrain Manifesto.  Companies are facing customer
> > feedback in ways they've never had to deal with before, many still don't
> > get it.  Contrast my own story with Don Marti's: cracked display,
> > called, was given a FedEx number, pickup at the door, delivery of a
> > repaired unit (new display -- actually, likely new case with old guts),
> > two days later.  The actual repair turnaround was < 8 hours.  I haven't
> > seen my laptop since Nov 2.
>
> Same old obviously worn laptop, but either a new LCD screen or an
> absolutely perfect cleaning job.
>
> Of course I am the Media so I probably get special treatment...
> http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5525

I sounded around and heard a few stories that sounded sufficiently
similar to yours that I don't think you're *that* special being Mr. LJ
and all that.  IBM seems to understand the service business -- they
*are* a service business, it's the bulk of their revenues.

On the other hand, this did happen after Don spent an afternoon screaming
outside Adobe HQ, IBM prolly didn't want to see that happening.

On the gripping hand, I explicitly told ARM that they could expect (and
will get more) bad publicity as a result of their actions.  I'd love to
say this will affect their operations significantly, but as they've been
singing one tune since 1996 (to wit:  the same players even), I doubt
it.  <sigh>

Peace.