[linux-elitists] I3

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Thu Aug 30 10:34:43 PDT 2001

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 05:25:56PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:
> > nice link EXCEPT for one thing. This is all about digital
> > __BROADCAST__ radio.  What I am talking about is using the ham bands
> > where licenced individuals are allowed to transmit as well as
> > receive. The reason for that is it allows us to setup a private high
> > bandwidth network between individuals.
>
> FCC's Part 97 specifically prohibutes hams from "broadcasting", as

Yes that is true BUT the definition of broadcasting is kind of
different than what is in common usage. Broadcasting is defined by the
FCC as transmitting with the intention of reaching the general
public. So if a transmission is directed to other amateur operators,
i.e. the people who requested the data stream then it is not really
broadcasting.

> well as encrypting or using profanity. This would prevent
> transmission

Once again they don't specifically say profanity. They say obscene
speach which leaves it up to the interpretation of those who recieve
it.

> of things like th the linux kernel. afaik the bands at extremely high
> frequencies are all free for taking anyway, so it's wise to avoid the
> bagage that comes with ham usage.

Yes that is true but it gets harder and harder to generate, control, and
modulate things in higher frequencies. Plus anything above 10Ghz
readily gets absorbed by the atmosphere and various
objects. e.g. radio goes through trees and stuff but visible light is
reflected off of them.

Plus I think that that baggage that the ham bands have may work in our
favor. As I said in my previous post. I don't think that the answer is
to have a faster internet. I think that the answer is to learn from
the internet and make something new -- something better an adjunct to
the internet with different rules. Remember when usenet worked, before
there was spam, before trademark owner felt that they owned
DNS. Remember NSF net?

-ben