[linux-elitists] I3 Was: Re: Yahoo sucks: Javascript requirement to feedpopups?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Thu Aug 30 09:56:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 05:25:56PM -0700, Ben Woodard wrote:
> nice link EXCEPT for one thing. This is all about digital
> __BROADCAST__ radio.  What I am talking about is using the ham bands
> where licenced individuals are allowed to transmit as well as
> receive. The reason for that is it allows us to setup a private high
> bandwidth network between individuals.

FCC's Part 97 specifically prohibutes hams from "broadcasting", as
well as encrypting or using profanity. This would prevent transmission
of things like th the linux kernel. afaik the bands at extremely high
frequencies are all free for taking anyway, so it's wise to avoid the
bagage that comes with ham usage.