[linux-elitists] Yahoo sucks: Javascript requirement to feed popups?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 28 20:29:46 PDT 2001

on Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:39:15PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:29:43PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > My experience with another site (EZBoard) was that functionality
> > dependent on Javascript was added to enhance advertising revenues, which
> > were largely driven by popup ads.  No Javascript => no popups => no
> > revenues.
>
> Wanna see something worse? www.sony.com with javascript off. I
> discovered this a couple of days ago and am still shocked!

It's not that Yahoo's among the worst offenders.  In fact, it's the
opposite:  Yahoo's website has long been one of the cleanest, simplest,
easiest to navigate, and least dependent on any web cruft (Java,
Javascript, Flash, browser-centric coding, etc.), of any of the major
sites out there.  Many have argued that this was core to Yahoo's
success.

There is a long list of websites (Boo probably tops the list) whose
fundamental design brokedness probably did as much as anything to
contribute to their failure.  I'm a strong adherent to Jakob Nielsen.
Google is the ultimate "principle of clarity" site on the 'Net today.

It is the slipping from the high ground in Yahoo's case that's so
disturbing.