[linux-elitists] Yahoo sucks: Javascript requirement to feed popups?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 28 19:29:43 PDT 2001

on Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:49:41AM -0700, Jeremy Zawodny (Jeremy@Zawodny.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 10:40:09PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > Surely I'm not the only person to notice that Yahoo's been replacing
> > links with Javascript 'open window' links in its news section for
> > images:
> >
> > javascript: rs("ss","http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/ts/082501plane&entry=1&tmpl=sl",610,490);
>
> There are folks internally fighting some of these stupid decisions.
> Don't know if we'll win, but we're trying.

Appreciated.

My experience with another site (EZBoard) was that functionality
dependent on Javascript was added to enhance advertising revenues, which
were largely driven by popup ads.  No Javascript => no popups => no
revenues.

A business model which is inherently based on antagonizing
customers/users is fundamentally flawed.  Then again, a business model
which doesn't know how to turn its users into customers has some issues
to boot.

Key issue for me:  a site which violates my personal preferences and
space loses greatly in any opportunity to sell me services which are
based on my providing additional demographics.  If you already show
you're not trustworthy, why should I behave in a manner which assumes
you're trustworthy.

Anyway, appreciate the inside fight, and I know how tough that can be.