[linux-elitists] Yahoo sucks: Javascript requirement to feed popups?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 25 22:40:09 PDT 2001

Surely I'm not the only person to notice that Yahoo's been replacing
links with Javascript 'open window' links in its news section for
images:

javascript: rs("ss","http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/ts/082501plane&entry=1&tmpl=sl",610,490);

My feedback to Yahoo:

    Lose the Javascript in photos.

    Yahoo has long been, and remains, one of my primary Web resources.
    This has been because of its directness, simplicity, and value as a
    data resource:  Yahoo presents essential data, presents it clearly,
    and presents it in spades.  Though the web has evolved past the
    stage at which an ordered hierarchy was of critical importance,
    Yahoo's sections, particularly news and finance, are core resoures.

    I've been very disappointed to find that this simple directness has
    been adulterated with Yahoo's inclusion of Javascript in page code
    to view some images associated with news articles.  I dislike this
    on several fronts, two of the more significant being that:

      1.  *I* prefer that *my* specifications for how, where, and when, a
	  window be opened are preeminant.  My browser is tabbed, I open
	  content in new tabs, and new windows are distracting and
	  disruptive.

      2.  I disable Javascript.  Period.  For all sites.  Its a feature
	  of the Web landscape that's prone to both security issues and
	  abuse, whether from ignorant webdesigners (God save us...) or
	  malicious intent of advertisers or crackers.

    Simply:  toss the crap.  Keep it simple.  Let the user drive.  I
    realize that this requirement, like others utilized by Yahoo (eg:
    I've long since noticed that both contents and ads are served by
    your 'yimg.com' servers, and have managed to seperate ads from
    content in my filters) is geared at supporting an advertising and
    revenue model.  I'll modestly suggest that fighting with your
    customers is not a good or effective business model, and suggest you
    identify alternative approaches.

Cheers.