[linux-elitists] Vigilantes

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Aug 25 02:31:27 PDT 2001

So,

After reading Sean's most excellent quote, and plastering it up on my
website as an act of violence against the existing html [1], and having
found myself interviewed and quoted [2] for a number of Linux10 articles
(haven't had this much luck with the local media before), I mused on exactly
what the rights are that proprietary software, and other agreements
extending the reach of copyright, infringe.

Obviously, fair use is one of the major ones that we discuss - because we
have a belief in the scientific model of progress; research and sharing.

It strikes me that enforcement of anything far above fair use is like the
act of a vigilante, outside the law. Unfortunately, the manipulation of the
law, and the governing body implementing it [3] means that these vigilante
acts become accepted as law.

Comments?

- Jeff

  [1] http://perkypants.org/
  [2] http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s350730.htm and
http://australianit.news.com.au/common/storyPage/0,3811,2668422%5E501,00.html
  [3] I have a very non-Libertarian belief in government.

--
     "Just because I sit in front of a terminal all day doesn't mean I
      couldn't hunt you down and righteously kick your ass to feed my