[linux-elitists] Dateline April 12, 2001 Microsoft: Closed source is more secure

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Aug 15 09:03:32 PDT 2001

begin Aaron Sherman quotation of Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:00:33PM -0400:

> The security reviews that the Linux kernel have been undergoing
> recently are extensive.

The kernel has never been as big a security problem as the vast array
of free software, of varying ages and quality levels, bundled with
every distribution.

But I've noticed at least two distributions (SuSE and Red Hat) making
a "personal firewall" configuration, which blocks incoming packets,
easy to install.  I still don't think it's a substitute for informing
the user before setting daemons to run automatically, though.

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/